Depression is a condition, in which one feels sad, low energy level, and lost interest in activities of daily life. How to manage depression becomes an important question nowadays. Because of busy routine, workload, and not able to find time to hang up with friends and family, nearly everyone faces this condition. To manage depression, you must have to know all the facts related to depression, and factors which aggravate the depression.
Common incidents which make you feel to depress:
When you or anyone in life failed to fulfil their dreams, they pass through a phase of depression. Even this condition persists throughout their life, if not treated properly.
Usually, people face severe depression when they lost someone very close to them.
If, someone betrays you.
If people make fun of your personality or anything belong to you.
If you do something wrong or hurt someone, then after realizing your mistake you may pass through depression.
Early diagnosis of depression is necessary, because if this condition becomes severe then it’s hard to handle. So, from time to time you must screen yourself and people around you. For this, you must know the sign and symptoms of depression.
Sign and Symptoms of depression:
- Low or sad mood.
- Lost interest in daily activities.
- Anyone who is facing depression lost pleasure in things previously found enjoyable.
- Sleep pattern change.
- Change in appetite.
- Inability to manage tasks at work.
- Suicidal thoughts, this condition usually seen in people of severe depression.
Non- pharmacological interventions:
If you notice that any of these symptoms are present in you then the first thing you do find the reason behind this. For this seek help from a psychologist. Because in the initial stage non- pharmacological intervention remains the best choice.
Find different ways to help others.
Seek support from people who make you feel safe and cared for.
Try best, to learn relaxation methods. If you learn them accurately, you can practice them at any time. Relaxation methods help a lot in minimizing the physical and mental effects due to depression. Relaxation methods such as
- Progressive muscular relaxation: This method can be performed in sitting or in lying position.
- First thing you do keep your body and mind in a relaxed state.
- Then starts with hand muscles, contract them for 5 to 7 sec, then relax for 20 to 30 sec.
- Then repeat the step with all the muscles group in the body.
- One thing that must have to do is to distinguish between a tense state and a relaxed state.
- This technique helps a lot in relieving depression.
- Deep breathing exercises: This is the safest method to get rid of any kind of stress.
- In this method, you first sit in a comfortable position.
- Then image good things in mind, like sitting in the garden.
- Close your eyes, inhale from the nose and hold breathe from 5sec to 8sec, slowly then exhale from the mouth, thinking that you are blowing out all the stress.
Visual imagery: This is also an easy way to manage stress.
Try to learn distracting activities, and also those by doing them you feel pleasure in the past.
Exercise: By doing simple exercises i.e. brisk walking, jogging, make you feel healthy and happy.
Sleep: try to take proper sleeping, because to sleep at least 6-8 hours is very important.
Sunlight: It is very important, because when you take sunbathe your serotonin level increase and your mood become well.
If the symptoms remain prominent after doing all the things, and you see no recovery then consult from a good doctor that most of the time prescribed anti-depressants i.e. imipramine, fluoxetine, or manage the things in their way.
You must be punctual to take medicine. Improvement will be built in 2-3 weeks, or it depends on severity.
It’s important to take a healthy diet to boost up your immune system.
Try to avoid sugar-rich food. Things which are the source of vitamin B and Omega 3-fatty acid are very good for your mood, here is the name of some things which are
- Red meat.
You love to read about
Depression is a worldwide problem. To deal with this condition you must know of it i.e. why are you facing this problem? At what time the situation becomes severe?
You can manage it by simply alternating the daily routine. If the condition not controlled, consult a good psychiatrist.