To know how to get rid of sciatica is very necessary, because number of people face this condition. Sciatica is derived from the Latin word means “Pain down the back of leg”.
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is actually the shooting pain along the cutaneous distribution of sciatic nerve and its branch, especially the common peroneal.
Sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in body. It supply number of different muscles in body. Firstly discussed the course and origin of nerve so we easily understand, in which part of course nerve get damage.
Course of sciatic Nerve
Sciatic nerve starts in pelvis region and ends at the superior angle of popliteal fossa by splitting into two branch;
- Tibial nerve.
- Common peroneal nerve.
Origin and Root value:
Sciatic nerve originates from the sacral plexus and one of the largest branch of this plexus. Root value of sciatic nerve is L4 L5 S1 S2 S3.
Course of sciatica pain:
Sciatica usually starts in the gluteal region and then runs along the posterior surface of thigh, and the lateral side of leg then to the dorsum of the foot.
Main causes of Sciatica
- Bad posture also contribute to sciatica and number of other deformities.
- Compression of nerve, at any point of course contribute to sciatica.
- Disc prolapse is also a reason of sciatica in number of elderly person.
- Neuritis is inflammation of nerve, which is also a contributing factor of sciatica.
- Muscle tension may also a reason of sciatica, in this muscle around the sciatic nerve get tense, For example; Piriformis syndrome.
- Joint injury is also a main contributing factor.
Frequency of sciatica; Sciatica is a common condition, about four out of ten people will experience it at some point in their in lives.
Symptoms of Sciatica;
Sciatica is extremely painful condition. Some symptoms which specifically shows that it is sciatica are
- Pins and Needles (prickling sensations).
- Loss of sensations.
Management of Sciatica without medication:
There are number of different ways to treat sciatica. But the choice of treatment demands upon the contributing factor of sciatica.
- Physiotherapy of sciatica is a treatment which is carried out without the use of medicine. It is treatment of choice in the initial stage of sciatica. In this treatment regimen different exercises are performed to get rid of sciatica. Different exercises are manipulation technique, strengthening exercises, mobilization technique etc.
- Massage Therapy is very beneficial in relieving pain due to sciatica. There are different methods to do massage therapy. In palm and thumb massage rub your lower part of your back with your palms toward your spine and down toward your buttocks. In knuckle massage, bent your knee and then rest on your back.
- Acupuncture is type of treatment in which needles are inserted at specific point along the course of nerves. The patient of acute cases get relief in 2-3 treatments, while patient of chronic case get relief in 8-12 treatmentse. disc herniation ,stenosis.
- Ice/cold therapy helps to reduce sciatica by reduction of pain. This method carried out at home with ease, but one must strictly follow the precautions.
- In ultrasound heat is produce by sound waves that perforate deep into muscles, by this circulation of blood to specific area of pain increase that help reduce muscle spasm, cramping, swelling, and sciatica pain.
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) is a small box like, battery-powered, muscle stimulating machine. In this different intensities of electrical current reduce muscle spasm and pain.
Management of sciatica with medication and surgery:
- Different type of medicine are used to treat sciatica. The selection of medicine depend upon the condition of patient and contributing factor of sciatica. For reduction of pain medicine like NSAIDS, Aspirin, or Naproxen may use. Muscle relaxants also used to relive muscle spasms. Antidepressants are used for chronic pain and especially pain medicine are used for severe pain.
- Very small group of people with sciatica will require surgery, only when pain persists even undergoing treatment of more than six weeks. The main purpose of sciatica is to remove the cause of sciatica. For example if herniated disc is cause then, the goal of surgery is to correct herniated disc to relieve nerve from compression.
- Do low impact activities, which don’t pay stress on your back.
- Take regular part in exercise program that help strengthen the muscles around your spine, so that pressure on disc removed.
- Refresh your posture every 20 minutes, whether you are at your home or at job.
- Follow proper body mechanics.
To get rid of sciatica you must have to know the contributing factor of sciatica, and treatment of choice available. And to prevent this condition you must follow preventive measures.